Carolina Counseling Services - Recovering from the Effects of Childhood Trauma on Adult Survivors
How Do I Set Up my FIRST Appointment?
- Call: (919) 762-3185 (Fastest way to schedule)
- Text: (910) 308-3291 (Reply will be via phone)
- Email: Click to send email (You must include your phone number, because replies will only be made by telephone to ensure security/privacy)
- Call or Text for your New Patient Appointment Anytime!
- Appointment scheduling for NEW clients: Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:15pm
- New client appts may be scheduled when therapists have openings, which may include daytime, evenings and weekends.
- Evening and Saturday Appointments Available. Call Now!
- Established/Standing Appointments are made directly with your therapist!
- Referrals: MOST beneficiaries do NOT need a Referral!
Recovering from the Effects of Childhood Trauma on Adult Survivors
A traumatic childhood can be in any form of physical, emotional or sexual abuse perpetrated against the will of a child. It can also mean experiencing neglect wherein the child’s emotional and/or physical needs are ignored. Many cases take place at home, but, it can also happen outside of the family with the involvement of people who are expected to take care of the child, like foster families and babysitters.
Are You a Survivor?
If your early years were peppered with trauma and pain, all your important developmental process may have been interrupted. Childhood is a vulnerable time for a child who has little power to stop the abuser’s actions, words, and behavior.
If your trauma is caused by your dysfunctional family, you may have grown different from other children for missing major parental guidance to prepare you for adulthood. You may have also missed important parts of childhood as you were forced to assume unnatural roles your parents cannot play. As innocent as you were, you grew up changed by forces within your family of which you can’t control.
Now that you’re an adult, the memories of the past linger. No matter how hard you try to block these memories, the wounds still hurt, the scars are deep-rooted, and the emotional pain still throbs. As you emerged from a stormy childhood, you become an adult survivor with a damaged self.
Living with the Pain of the Past
Being an adult survivor of a traumatic childhood means you’ve grown to tolerate the full impact of all the abuses you suffered. Like the vast majority of victims, your general response would be to endure and manage the pain on your own. Even if you claim victory, the survival tactics you’ve developed may prove unproductive and result in an unsatisfactory adult life. Consequently, some of the survivor’s syndrome symptoms may manifest later in your adulthood, such as
- Relationship difficulties – difficulty in developing and sustaining relationship with others
- Social alienation – fear of being not accepted
- Sexual problems – can range from promiscuity to failure to aversion to intimacy
- Low self-esteem – feeling shameful or doubtful about yourself
- Self-harm – harboring thoughts of self-sabotage
- Depressive and anxiety disorders
- Physical ailments – can take the form of psychosomatic illnesses, such as migraine, asthma, and skin disorders.
The Road to Recovery
The recovery process may be difficult, especially if you try to achieve it by yourself. There are better chances of moving forward when you turn to professional help. Understand that the right counselor/therapist/psychologist can help pull you out of the pain, fear, and confusion. At Carolina Counseling Services in Fuquay-Varina, we have contracted licensed counselors who assist you in feeling good about yourself – maybe for the first time. Begin your journey to recovery by calling to request an appointment. It may be your first step to enjoying your adult life.
We can Help! Call NOW!
Confidential / Private Sessions
Carolina Counseling Services contracts with Licensed professional counselors/therapists/psychologists that provide a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Carolina Counseling Services Fuquay-Varina contracts with friendly, caring therapists who assist adult individuals, couples, families, and children with resolving issues and getting back to enjoying their lives. Whether you are non-military or military, it will always been a pleasure to work with you. CCS and the independently contracted therapists are able and happy to assist active duty dependents and retired military and their families.
Serving Areas: Carolina Counseling Services
Counties: Wake County NC
Cities: Fuquay-Varina NC, Holly Springs NC, Angier NC, Duncan NC, Chalybeate Springs NC, Feltonville NC, Garner NC, Kennebec NC, Willow Springs NC, Cokesbury NC, Holland NC, Wilbon NC