Carolina Counseling Services - Getting Professional Help When Sadness Develops into Depression
How Do I Set Up my FIRST Appointment?
- Call: (919) 762-3185 (Fastest way to schedule)
- Text: (910) 308-3291 (Reply will be via phone)
- Email: Click to send email (You must include your phone number, because replies will only be made by telephone to ensure security/privacy)
- Call or Text for your New Patient Appointment Anytime!
- Appointment scheduling for NEW clients: Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:15pm
- New client appts may be scheduled when therapists have openings, which may include daytime, evenings and weekends.
- Evening and Saturday Appointments Available. Call Now!
- Established/Standing Appointments are made directly with your therapist!
- Referrals: MOST beneficiaries do NOT need a Referral!
- Depression and Chronic Medical Disorders
- Bringing Back the Enjoyment Stolen by Depression
- The Search for Hope can end with Counseling
- Major Depression: When Help is the Only Way Out
- Finding Interest or Pleasure After Losing them to Depression
- Getting Through College and Depression
- Overcoming Postpartum Depression: Enjoying Motherhood
- Depression: Seeing the Different Shades of the Blues Between Men and Women
Getting Professional Help When Sadness Develops into Depression
Everyone can feel sad from time to time. Like other emotions such as happiness, shame or boredom, sadness can also be a fleeting feeling that may pass quickly. However, if you are hanging on to sadness for an extended period of time or ruminating longer than necessary, these feelings of unhappiness can begin to become symptoms of depression.
Recognizing the Differences Between Depression and Occasional Sadness
Sadness can be a normal, human emotion that everyone experiences once in a while. It can involve a lot of weight and can be triggered by an unwelcome and potentially intense real life event. Feeling sad or “blue” may persist for several days, though it is a state that is bound to end as sadness generally does not remain constant when it is simply occasional sadness.
By contrast, depression is notorious for its staying power and ability to interfere with activities of daily living. Depression is characterized by the presence of extreme sadness or despair that continues for at least two weeks or longer. It is accompanied by feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, hurt and guilt. If you are experiencing symptoms of depression may find yourself becoming overwhelmed, exhausted, and/or suffering from poor concentration and loss of interest in things that you used to enjoy.
Symptoms of depression far exceed occasional sadness in frequency and intensity. It can be extremely important to have an understanding of the differences in order to become more aware of your experience. While sadness may pass, depression does not generally resolve itself without professional intervention.
Maybe you’re not Just Sad
Experiencing a significant transition or major life event such as the death of a loved one or the loss of a job is something that would likely result in feelings of sadness. It can be understandable to feel sad and to entertain negative thoughts about certain circumstances which you have little or no control over.
If you find yourself feeling constantly angry, restless, and/or withdrawing from family and friends, you may be experiencing more than just occasional sadness. You may find that your somber mood can’t be budged by even the funniest comedian, and your constant chronic pain is far more serious than just being sad. In reality, you may not just be sad, you may be experiencing depression.
Confronting Depression with Courage
Considering depression as merely being “sad” can minimizes the severity of an illness that affects millions of people. Getting help is not a sign of weakness, in fact seeking treatment can be an indication of your courage to fight back. Thankfully, depression is highly treatable, especially when you opt to seek competent and quality care from a professional.
Carolina Counseling Services in Fuquay-Varina, NC can help. Licensed, independently contracted counselors in Fuquay-Varina are well-trained and well-experienced in diagnosing and providing treatment catered to your own unique needs. Making a call to CCS to request an appointment may put an end to your symptoms of depression and allow you to begin living life the way you deserve to be living.
We can Help! Call NOW!
Confidential / Private Sessions
Carolina Counseling Services contracts with Licensed professional counselors/therapists/psychologists that provide a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Carolina Counseling Services Fuquay-Varina contracts with friendly, caring therapists who assist adult individuals, couples, families, and children with resolving issues and getting back to enjoying their lives. Whether you are non-military or military, it will always been a pleasure to work with you. CCS and the independently contracted therapists are able and happy to assist active duty dependents and retired military and their families.
Serving Areas: Carolina Counseling Services
Counties: Wake County NC
Cities: Fuquay-Varina NC, Holly Springs NC, Angier NC, Duncan NC, Chalybeate Springs NC, Feltonville NC, Garner NC, Kennebec NC, Willow Springs NC, Cokesbury NC, Holland NC, Wilbon NC