Carolina Counseling Services - Seeing Your Child through Recovery from Depression
How Do I Set Up my FIRST Appointment?
- Call: (919) 762-3185 (Fastest way to schedule)
- Text: (910) 308-3291 (Reply will be via phone)
- Email: Click to send email (You must include your phone number, because replies will only be made by telephone to ensure security/privacy)
- Call or Text for your New Patient Appointment Anytime!
- Appointment scheduling for NEW clients: Mon-Fri 8:30am-5:15pm
- New client appts may be scheduled when therapists have openings, which may include daytime, evenings and weekends.
- Evening and Saturday Appointments Available. Call Now!
- Established/Standing Appointments are made directly with your therapist!
- Referrals: MOST beneficiaries do NOT need a Referral!
Seeing Your Child through Recovery from Depression
Depression has long been acknowledged as a condition that many adults suffer from, but doctors and psychologists have only started studying depression in children during the last thirty years or so. Today, counselors and professionals in the medical field see that children can suffer from depression, and there are behavioral signs that can help parents see when their children need help.
What Depression in Children may look like
Parents may find it difficult to detect depression in their children because this is quite frequently masked by behavior that parents consider “normal”. Here are some indicators that can help parents decide whether their child needs professional counseling.
- Children with depression do not always look sad and forlorn, but quite often their depression is manifested by profound sadness.
- Depressed children usually withdraw from their friends and from the activities they used to enjoy. Parents may notice that their child seems to have little energy for usual chores, and they may find it hard to focus on tasks or reading material.
- Depression in children can also show in their appetite. Some will eat more than they used to, while others will noticeably eat less. Some will go through periods when food is the best distraction for the state of their emotions. The same holds true for their sleep patterns; some will find sleep very elusive, while some will sleep excessively.
- Parents need to take heed when their children complain that about feeling hopeless or worthless. These dark feelings may be marked by vocal outbursts or by crying. If these feelings last for prolonged periods, help is definitely needed.
- Physical complaints are another telltale sign of depression in children. Usually, children will complain of headache, stomach ache or back ache. This may result in frequent absences from school and a drop in grades.
- Depression can also manifest itself as anger and irritableness.
Causes and Treatments
There are many possible causes for depression in children. Stressors, such as pressures in school, lack of friends, adjustments to new environments, can all lead to depression in children. Conflict and tension in the family is also known to cause depression in children. Apart from instability in family life, children can also become depressed after living with a parent who is depressed.
Depression is a condition that can be treated; it is not a lifelong sentence. Today, psychologists and counselors use various interventions to help children recover from depression; these interventions can change the way children look at themselves, their lives, and their environment.
Taking the First Step
You need not feel overwhelmed or alone when you face the challenge of helping your child recover from depression. Call Carolina Counseling Services at Fuquay-Varina, NC, so an individually contracted counselor will support you and your child through this.
We can Help! Call NOW!
Confidential / Private Sessions
Carolina Counseling Services contracts with Licensed professional counselors/therapists/psychologists that provide a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Carolina Counseling Services Fuquay-Varina contracts with friendly, caring therapists who assist adult individuals, couples, families, and children with resolving issues and getting back to enjoying their lives. Whether you are non-military or military, it will always been a pleasure to work with you. CCS and the independently contracted therapists are able and happy to assist active duty dependents and retired military and their families.
Serving Areas: Carolina Counseling Services
Counties: Wake County NC
Cities: Fuquay-Varina NC, Holly Springs NC, Angier NC, Duncan NC, Chalybeate Springs NC, Feltonville NC, Garner NC, Kennebec NC, Willow Springs NC, Cokesbury NC, Holland NC, Wilbon NC